Red Dead Redemption 2 has just been released and on some computers it crashes with the error “the process is unexpectedly completed” (Red Dead Redemption 2 exited unexpectedly). What to do and how to start the game – read in our guide!
Rockstar is aware of the problem and has already proposed a solution. According to the developers, the most common reason for this error is the old drivers for the video card. Before starting the game for the first time, it is strongly recommended that you update the driver.
RDR2 crashes to PC? Here’s what Rockstar advises
Owners of video cards from NVIDIA require version 441.12 or higher – look for it manually on the site or update it automatically through the GeForce Experience program.
AMD video card owners need a graphics driver version 19.11.1 or higher – look for it manually on the site or update it automatically through the Radeon Software application.
But this is not all – you need to make additional settings in the launch conditions of the game:
- open Rockstar Games Launcher;
- in the “My installed games” section, select Red Dead Redemption 2 and then the “Settings” item;
- find the menu “View Installation Folder” (View Installation Folder) and select “Open” (Open) to open the folder with the game in Explorer;
then right-click on RDR2.exe;
- select “Properties” and go to the “Compatibility” tab (this is already the standard Windows menu);
- check the boxes “Run the program as administrator” and “Disable optimization in full screen”;
- click OK;
- return to the Rockstar Games Launcher library of games;
- run RDR 2.